Hi, it’s Tabitha again! Just thought that I would write another short post about the symptoms of Fibro to help people understand the many facets of the condition and ask my fellow fibro fighterz what all symptoms that they have and ask when you all were officially diagnosed. I copied the symptom list from WEB MD’s website.
Symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness
- Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy
- Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep
- Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long
- Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks (“fibro fog”)
- Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome)
- Tension or migraine headaches
- Jaw and facial tenderness
- Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods, and cold
- Feeling anxious or depressed
- Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs, or feet
- Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder)
- Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise
- A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet
Also, more symptoms include: vulvodynia (which is chronic pain of the entire vagina for no known reason), shortness of breath, chest pains, nerve pain, burning of hands, arms, legs or feet, mood swings, extreme sensitivity to weather changes, rain, snow, heat and especially humidity and forgetfulness (usually due to fibro fog)
I have all of the above symptoms myself, 99% of them I have daily. I’m like an old woman that can predict changes in weather according to pain in my body hahaha. Fibromyalgia is very misunderstood, especially because sufferers often look “fine on the outside”. There are usually no visible signs, we aren’t walking around with organs hanging out or covered in blood and bruises, so it seems impossible that we can possibly be in as much misery as we are. I know that I myself went for a long time without acknowledging my fibro to many people. I didn’t want to carry the stigma that surrounds it, which is pretty much that it is all in our heads, it’s a fake condition and we are just a bunch of whiners that would be all better if we just went for a walk or went shopping or got out more. So I just covered up the fact that I am a sufferer to anyone but the people closest to me. So instead of anyone knowing that I have a chronic condition, I just seemed like I turned into a hermit that didn’t leave my house much. Recently, I got tired of pretending nothing is wrong around everyone because the conclusions that people were drawing about me and my reclusiveness were becoming outrageous. I’m determined to help raise awareness and pray that we someday find a cure!!
So fellow fighterz, comment back and tell me which symptoms you are dealing with. I would love to hear from you. We all need to reach out and help lose the stigma surrounding our condition and be there for each other. No one understands better than a fellow fighter. If you know of anyone fighting this, let them know about this webzine. The more awareness we raise, the better the chance we have of finding a cure!!